tips & care
candles tips & care for optimal burning
candles are meant to enhance life's experience and can be a serious fire hazard if not used properly. the following tips are to help minimize your risk when burning candles in your home.
- make sure your wick is trimmed to ¼ of an inch before each light,
- place the candle on a stable, heat-resistant surface.
- never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire (such as bedding, curtains, decorations and clothing) & keep candles out of the reach of children and pets,
- make sure your candle is at room temperature before lighting. lighting a cold candle can cause tunnelling (hard wax left around the edge of the vessel),
- burn candles in a well-ventilated area. this will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, sooting, and excessive dripping,
- follow the burning instructions on the caution sticker on your candle.
- when first burning your candle, keep it lit for at least 1 to 1.5 hours and allow the burn pool to reach the edge of the glass or nearly,
- do not pour wax out to improve the height of your flame or swirl it around the edge if your melt pool has not reached the glass; this will end up tunnelling your candle, causing your wick to drown,
- if your candle has tunnelled, you can fix it by scooping out the wax that is stuck to the glass with a spoon. scoop enough out to the level of the melt pool or below to prevent further drowning of the wick,
- do not let any debris from the wick (or anything else) fall into the candle,
- do not touch or move the candle until it has completely cooled. hot candle vessels can burn you and burns are no fun,
- don’t burn the candle all the way down. to be safe, please stop burning a candle when there is ¼ inch of wax left in the vessel.
- if soot appears on the vessel, take a dry paper towel - when the candle has completely cooled - and wipe it off to have your candle presentable again and table ready,
- never use water to extinguish a candle, this can cause the hot wax to splatter and could break a glass container,
- before leaving the room, make sure your candle is completely out and there is no glow coming from the wick ember.
by kiele assumes no responsibility for any damage that may occur due to misuse of our products.